MD: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN – 2008
MS: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN – 2004
Ophthalmology Residency: University of Louisville, Louisville, KY – 2012
Retina: University of Louisville, Louisville, KY – 2014
Certification: American Board of Ophthalmology – 2014
My current research focus is on retinal imaging. I am particularly interested in the wealth of information available with modern optical coherence tomographic imaging, investigating both traditional and automated ways of collecting and interpreting that information. Optical coherence tomography allows the retina to be non-invasively imaged and provides data which can be critical in the diagnosis and treatment of numerous retinal diseases including age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy, two of the leading causes of vision loss.
Other research interests include retinal vein occlusion, the impact of COPD on retinal disease, and endophthalmitis.
- Sigford DK, Schaal S. Bilateral choroidal neovascularization associated with basal laminar drusen in a 31-year-old. Can J Ophthalmol. 2014 Jun;49(3):e80-2.
- Piri N, Kaplan HJ, Sigford DK, Tezel TH. High-definition optical coherence tomography findings in acute idiopathic blind spot enlargement (AIBSE) syndrome. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2014 Dec;22(6):494-6.
- Sigford DK, Schaal S. Asymptomatic retinal gumma. JAMA Ophthalmology. 2015 Mar;133(3):355-7
- Sigford D, Reddy S, Mollineaux C, Schaal S. Global reported endophthalmitis risk following intravitreal injections of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor: a literature review and analysis. Clin Ophthalmol. 2015 May 2;9:773-81.
- Ozkok A, Saleh OA, Sigford DK, Heroman JW, Schaal S. THE OMAR STUDY: Comparison of Ozurdex and Triamcinolone Acetonide for Refractory Cystoid Macular Edema in Retinal Vein Occlusion. Retina. 2015 Jul;35(7):1393-400